Saturday, June 11, 2011

a fun birthday party

So I told you about this little birthday party I threw last week for my daughter who turned 9.  It had a "sweet" theme where the girls all got aprons, did some cake decorating on dollar store cake plates, and loaded up at the candy 'bar'.
I made a cake bunting out of fabric scraps and good old shishkabob sticks to top the layered cake.


Here is the candy 'bar' where the kids could load up a bag for their party favor before they left.
I made a 'sweets' banner out of an old plastic tablecloth, some chalkboard paint, and some ribbon that I hung in front of the candy bar.

We also set up a mini photo booth in front of a yellow polka-dotted sheet found at the thrift store.  The girls wore their upcycled aprons I made for them out of old skirts, and some goofy mouth suckers.
I was surprised how much they loved taking pictures here, and kept posing,
and posing,
and posing.
Here are the $2 cake plates made out of 2 pieces from the dollar store. They decorated mini cakes that fit right on top.  The cakes were a total mess to frost, but the kids had fun with the icing and sprinkles.


I made all the aprons out of old skirts I thrifted, and just added some contrasting fun material for the ties and pockets.
Here she is, the birthday girl, the goofy blonde in the middle. I can't believe she's 9!

26 comments:

  1. WOW!!! This is adorable! The chalkboard bunting, the aprons, the cake plates. AMAZING!!! What a lucky girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a fun party idea! I love the aprons and photo booth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a fantastic party Michele! you have one lucky daughter, looks like her and her friends had a blast :) Happy belated birthday to her!! Those aprons are brilliant...i want to make a few for myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What great ideas! All your special "sweet" touches really made a wonderful party. What lucky girls. I especially like the photo booth idea! I may have to steal that for my next party!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah - I didn't get to see it all set up! Only the after crumbs=) Turned out super cute! My girls had a blast - thanks for inviting them! Happy Birthday O!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The aprons are adorable and those goofy mouth suckers are hilarious..What a great party..Great job..
    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh my goodness these pictures rock...love the cake, lips, banner....yum!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thinking I'm drooling...that cake is fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Everything is adorable! And I love your pictures! Looks like a fun party!

    ReplyDelete
  10. the sideboard that the candy bar is on is GORGEOUS. what a fun party i love your decorations. and it looks like the girls had soo much fun.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the pics... the cake looks amazing, and wow to your kitchen!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I seriously want a piece of that cake...Yum! What a fabulous looking party. Job well done!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ok this is just the greatest idea!! My daughter is soon to be 8 and I'd love to thow a party with this theme! Thank you so much for the inspiration and she looks like she just couldn't be happier! Way to go! :)
    Terrell

    ReplyDelete
  14. Did you make all those aprons?? I love how they make all the girls feel like part of the theme. The photo booth is wonderfulness.

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fun party for a girl!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What great party ideas. The aprons are so cute. Looks like they are having a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great party ideas, I love all the details, everything is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a fun post and such great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a sweet party!! So pretty and chic. Thanks for the inspiration :)

    Lina
    Fancy Frugal Life

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your blog is adorable..so glad I found you...Happy weekend..off to visit some of your posts. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my goodness, that bunting is amazing!! I've been basically chalkboard painting anything I can get my hands on lately - I think I'm obsessed, haha

    ReplyDelete
  22. I fell in love with the bunting and just featured this over at my place!

    AWESOME

    http://kim-toomuchtimeonmyhands.blogspot.com/2011/06/green-bunting.html

    ReplyDelete
  23. Awesome Party!! And I'm LOVING your buffet as much as the party decor!! Well Done!

    twothirtyfivedesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Everything is so sweet! Looks like a fun party, bubba teeth and all! Thanks for linking with Air Your Laundry Friday! xo Jami

    ReplyDelete